Have you ever looked at your pet and wondered why they ate something they should not have? Most times, whatever they have eaten will pass without issue- but there are times when it does not. This is the story of Harrold. Harrold is a 3.5 year old Spaniel who decided it would be fun to eat carpet. It did not appear he ate a lot, nor did he initially appear sick. Harold was seen and x-rays were taken which confirmed that he did indeed have carpet in his stomach and part of his small intestine.
While preparing for surgery, Harold did vomit a very large amount of carpet. Repeat x-rays showed he did empty his stomach, but had a large quantity remaining within the intestinal tract. To surgery we go!
We did find a large amount of carpet remaining within his intestinal tract. He required two incisions to completely remove the blockage. The surgery was a success! Due to the intensive nature of any intestinal surgery, Harrold would not be fully out of the woods until he can continue to keep oral medications and food down without showing pain or signs of infection. Harrold excelled at this and was able to be discharged and recover with his family!
What should you do if your pet did ingest something? Knowing specific amounts, brands, ingredients and approximate time of ingesetion can be of the utmost of importance. Give us a call if there is any questions about what to do for the next step following an ingestion.